Treat yourself to some dairy-free meringues.
These melt-in-your-mouth clouds of dairy-free heaven make for the perfect dessert.
If you are making meringue nests, why not try our Vegan Meringues with Coconut Cream and Red Fruits?
Whipping up dairy-free meringue is as easy as replacing just one ingredient: egg whites for chickpea water, also known as “aquafaba”. Next time you open a tin of chickpeas, remember to save the water and give this recipe a go.
🕑 2 hours 30 minutes
- makes 12 large meringues
- 1 400g tin of Chickpeas (liquid only)
- 125g Icing Sugar
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract/Paste
- ½ tsp Cream of Tartar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 100C. Line baking trays with parchment paper and set aside. Open the tin of chickpeas and strain the liquid into the bowl of a standing mixer so none of the chickpeas or smaller bits are mixed with the water.
2. Beat the chickpea water at medium-high speed for 5-10 minutes until it becomes foamy and doubles in size. Add the cream of tartar while still mixing.
3. Add the icing sugar a spoonful at a time until it’s mixed in thoroughly. Follow with the vanilla extract.
4. Fill a piping bag (fitted with a nozzle of your choice) with the mixture. Pipe meringue nests on the baking tray, traditionally they are round in shape but you can pipe any other style you’d like. With this exact mixture you can make mini meringues, meringue kisses and pavlovas.
5. Bake in the oven for 2 hours, making sure you don’t open the oven door in the process. Once baked, turn the oven off and leave the nests to cool down inside the oven, this prevents them from cracking.
Note: You can change the vanilla extract to any other flavoured extract you want. Add 30g of raw cacao powder to turn them into chocolate meringues and make our Vegan Chocolate Cake.
share your creations with us on social media with #JOYloves