It’s easy to fall out of love with Cocktails. But it’s even easier to make this Maple Old Fashioned.
My list of favourite tipples has been broadening slowly in the last year. After going for a drink at The Alchemist in East London, I discovered my love for Bourbon.
Recreating their Old fashioned has been a bit of a challenge, especially because they add a layer of smokiness to the cocktail which I will never be able to recreate at home.
That being said, the most important difference between a regular Old Fashioned and The Alchemist’s is the use of Maple Syrup in place of regular simple syrup (made with white sugar and water). The Maple Syrup works well in this cocktail because the Bourbon itself has Maple aromatic notes, which together with the rest of sweet aromatics, nutty and smoky flavours are imparted and pronounced by the maturation process.
This brings us to the other most important factor in the Maple Old Fashioned, the type of Bourbon you use. My favourite, and The Alchemist’s chosen brand, is Woodford Reserve. This Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is crafted in small batches and is comprised of more than 200 flavour notes; from bold grain and wood, to sweet aromatics, spice, and fruit & floral notes.
What I love about Woodford Reserve is how different it is to other brands’. If you look at their process, you’ll see that they go above and beyond in each en every stage. For example, their fermentation process is among the longest in the industry, which allows for a greater depth of character and a more complex range of flavours. If you are lucky enough to live near the distillery, I can’t think of a better way to spend a weekend than to going for a tour.
🕑 5 minutes
- serves 1
- 2 oz Woodford Reserve Bourbon
- 2 dashes of Orange Bitters
- 2 tsp Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 tsp Cold Water
- Ice Cubes
- Orange Peel (if desired)
1. Fill your glass with ice cubes, the more the better.
2. In a separate mixing glass, add the Woodford Reserve Bourbon, the Orange Bitters, the Pure Maple Syrup and water. Follow with some ice cubes and stir for 30 seconds. You can also prepare the drink straight in the drinking glass.
3. Serve into the glass with ice cubes through a strainer (if desired).
4. Twist the Orange Peel over the glass and slide the peel around the rim of the glass, add it to the cocktail and enjoy! If not, you can enjoy the cocktail simply served over the rocks with no Orange Peel.
Note: If the Maple syrup sits at the bottom of the glass, stir the cocktail for a couple of seconds and you are ready to go!
Find out more about Woodford Reserve here. Don’t forget to drink responsibly.
Share your creations with us on social media with #JOYLOVES